Top 5 Actions to Take With Your New Home:
- Change Locks: For security reasons, it’s advisable to change the locks on all exterior doors, including the front door, back door, and any access points to the garage or backyard, to ensure that you have complete control over who has access to your new home.
- Update Address and Utilities: Notify the appropriate entities of your change of address, including the post office, banks, credit card companies, and any other important organizations. Additionally, set up utilities such as electricity, gas, water, internet, and cable services in your name if they weren’t transferred automatically.
- Conduct a Deep Clean: Before unpacking and settling in, take the opportunity to thoroughly clean your new home. This includes dusting surfaces, cleaning floors, sanitizing bathrooms and kitchens, and wiping down cabinets and appliances. It’s easier to clean empty spaces, so starting with a fresh and clean environment will help make your new house feel truly yours.
- Familiarize Yourself With the Home: Take some time to become familiar with the layout and functionality of your new home. Locate important features like the electrical panel, water shut-off valve, and circuit breakers. Understand how the heating and cooling systems work, and locate any emergency exits or fire extinguishers.
- Plan and Prioritize Home Improvements: Assess the condition of your new home and make a list of any necessary repairs or desired improvements. This could include repainting walls, fixing leaks, updating lighting fixtures, or enhancing the landscaping. Prioritize these tasks based on urgency and budget, and create a plan for tackling them gradually over time.
By following these steps, you can ensure a smooth transition into your new home and begin the process of settling in comfortably.